Friday, December 7, 2012

OB Dr Appt - 18 weeks

Yesterday we had another OB Dr appointment. It was Kevin’s first time meeting Dr Larissa Nelson. He thought she was more thorough and upbeat than our last Dr, so we are happy with that. The appointment was quick. I weighed 113lbs. Blood pressure 110 over 70. And baby’s heart rate was 140. We also looked over my recent thyroid test result which was at 0.47 (for pregnancy they want it to be between 0.2 and 2.0) so YAY my thyroid is continuing on at a normal level!! But hey, if its not one thing, its something else... She noticed my eye was still swollen and recommended me to get into see the eye Dr as soon as possible to figure out what’s causing it. So I called right as I left, and was able to get in for an appt late afternoon – Park Nicollet in St Louis Park. I saw optometrist Dr Johnson. He ran all sorts of tests on me, and in the end said he could see my right eyeball is bulging out, possibly due to fluid behind it, but he didn’t know what could be causing it. He mentioned he thinks it could have something to do with my thyroid but wanted to talk with the surgeon/ophthalmologist downstairs… So I met him downstairs, but the ophthalmologist was already gone for the day. He took down my cell # and said he would call me after he spoke with him in the morning.

Today, I had not heard from Dr Johnson by the noon hour, so I called my Endocrinologist Dr Damberg to let him know what Dr Johnson had said. Of course I only got to talk with his nurse, and she was going to ask him what he thought and then call me back. She didn’t call back until about 3pm, in which she told me that he said “Since my thyroid levels are perfect, the thyroid hormone shouldn’t be the cause of fluid behind the eye.” 20 minutes later, Dr Johnson calls me back to say he spoke with Dr Rykis the ophthalmologist, and he wants me to have an MRI of the area around the eye to for sure tell what is causing it, and again suggests it’s probably a cause of my thyroid. I then explained that I just heard back from my Endo and he doesn’t think that’s the cause. Dr Johnson continued on to say that “even though my levels are normal right now, doesn’t mean the antibodies aren’t causing it.” So wtf!?? Whats wrong with me? And is an MRI okay when I am pregnant? I had to call my OB nurse to find out. And I guess it is just a magnetic image of the head, no radiation, and they aren’t doing it with contrast (no dye in my blood) and although they don’t have any statistics on what it does to pregnant woman, they do them routinely. I just have to sign some wavier. Whatever. I am just in tears of pain, fear and frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment