Monday, October 1, 2012

Thyroid Scare :(

Today I had my first hormonal break down because my OB nurse called me explaining that my thyroid levels have gone way up and that I need to call my Endocrinologist and get my medication adjusted. WHAT!? WHY!? Is baby gonna be okay???

So since finding out in February 2011 that I had hyperthyroidism, which lead to the autoimmune disorder called Grave's disease (like my grandpa Quinn & aunt Wendy had), I had then chose to do the radioactive iodine treatment (RAI) to burn out my thyroid making me have hypothyroid the rest of my life. It has only been a year and a half I have been dealing with this, taking a synthetic every day, often getting my levels check and adjusting my dosage to maintain my thyroid hormone levels. It takes a couple years for people to get their levels to normal. And so when I found out I was pregnant, I wanted to get checked again.

Sept 12 I went in and my Endo said my TSH was at 4.91 and was supposed to be between .2-4.5. Okay, so I am a little high and he raised my dosage from 100MCG to 125MCG. Two weeks later (Sept 28), I was in for my first OB appointment and when I told my doctor I have hypothyroid she said we need to monitor it closer as it could cause birth defects (ie. low birth weight, pre-mature labor, developmental delay, etc). WHAT!? I thought to myself, I should be good because I was just in and had my dosage changed and my Endo's already been watching it. She's like well, we are doing lots of blood work today so I am just going to check your TSH again. Okay, fine with me, test away...

Now I find out that just 2 weeks after my dosage was raised, my TSH has raised even higher, to 15.25!! WTF!? How does it go that high, that fast...it has never been this high before. So I am in tears to my mom on the phone, a.) because I am hormonal and felt like crying b.) because I am scared, is something happening to baby while my levels are so off like this? c.) because I am so frustrated with this thyroid crap, that geez is this going to continue throughout my whole pregnancy? what a nightmare!! And d.) I was leaving to go to Chicago for three days for work and didn't know when and where to get my new prescription.

Anywho...after my Endo's nurse finally called me back (6 hours later) she explained my dosage needed to be raised again, now to 150MCG, to counteract all my hormone changes (hCG & estrogen). She explained this is completely normal during pregnancy, which is somewhat a sigh of relief. But now its just a waiting game until my levels get checked again in 4 weeks. In the meantime, let's just pray for a healthy baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment